Jozé Braspenning, PhD, UHD
+31 (0) 24 30 92104
Jozé Braspenning, PhD is associate professor at the department of IQ healthcare, Radboud university medical center and head of the domain Transparency in quality of care.
Braspenning's research focuses on developing valid and reliable indicators, which can be used to visualise quality of care. Our society has a great need for transparency in healthcare, in which quality of care is determined through measure and number. An important question in this is whether the care actually provided is safe and appropriate or is even a measure of distinguishing quality. The exact determination of safe or appropriate care is connected to the inquirer's perspective. A patient will come up with a different definition than a health care professional or a health insurer.
Quality indicators and feedback are often part of a quality system, such as accreditation or certification, either/or connected to a so-called pay-for-performance. Another part of the research programme is which one of these aspects of structure are suitable for stimulating quality of care.
Within this theme, Jozé Braspenning mostly focuses on scientifically based policy research for general practice, physiotherapy and integrated primary care.
- Social psychology with a strong focus on research methodology
- Doctoral degree (1992, University of Groningen): decision theory study of selection behaviour 'Framing: de prospecttheorie en het discriminatiemodel'
- Post-doc (1990-1994, Amsterdam Medical Centre): decision theory study of recognising psychological problems in primary care
- Researcher (1994-1996, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre): special research area: measuring instruments in quality of life in efficiency research
- Affiliated with the University of Manchester
- Author of a great number of scientific, referred publications. Supervisor of several Ph D theses.
- Editor of 'Werken aan kwaliteit in de huisartsenpraktijk' (Bohn, Stafleu van Loghum 2005) as well as several contributions to chapters in various manuals on quality of care.
- Associate-editor BMC Health Services Research